Today after OMT lab, I heard a few people talking and someone said something about an explosion. This immediately caught my interest (well, I was really bored at this point so talking about underwater basket-weaving would have probably piqued my interest at this point). As I asked them what was going on, they said there had been an explosion near school and there was a huge cloud of smoke coming up right behind school. I went out with a few friends to look and minus the fire (because our view was obscured by buildings) the picture above is what we saw.Evidently, a chemical plant less than a mile from my school exploded today and was still having explosions going on when I left school. There were also three railroad cars right by the plant that were filled w/ an "unknown flammable substance" that were likely to catch fire soon too. They evacuated the immediate area (which eventually included our school) and shut down highway 35 (which is a HUGE highway) going north and south bound. Thankfully I was able to get out of the city before traffic got too ugly, but it was interesting to see. We were all joking around at school about it (before we were all told to leave)....We're all pretty sure that any children we have some day are going to have horns or something weird from whatever chemicals we just inhaled...
So see...interesting things really do happen in Kansas City....like fires, gang wars, and chemical plant explosions....ah, I love the city life. :)

4 comments:
Eek! I better get a HEPA mask!
So, your kids having horns and strange appendages is weird why?
Just kidding...
Man that had to be a strange, and slightly scary, sight to see! Glad you are A-Okay!
as if your kids won't be mutated from all the chemicals that you inhaled during organic chemistry...
I second what Jeanna said, I'm glad you're ok!!
Post a Comment